Sunday 26 November 2017

Mid-morning Snack of Pierogi - Ren Behan

My friend Ren Behan proudly published her first cookbook at the beginning of September this year. I reviewed her book 'Wild Honey and Rye' on my blog on publication day and you can read that review by clicking here.

One morning I popped over for a coffee, chat and to get Ren to sign my copy of her beautiful new book.  Ren decided to make us a mid-morning snack of pierogi, little potato mixture filled dumplings (they can also have fruit fillings) using the recipe you can find in her book.
Flour and egg being mixed together for the pastry,
There is nothing quite like getting your hands in the mixture for the dough.
The mixture Ren was using was a mash potato base.
While the dough rested in the fridge we had a snack break of Ren's homemade bigos, a Polish hunters' stew based on sauerkraut and Polish sausage.  This is one of my favourite winter meals that I have made over the years using my own version of this traditional recipe.
It is a time consuming labour of love rolling the little circles of pastry and filling each one.
Keeping the dough covered with a damp cloth to prevent it drying out Ren soldiered on with the little pastry parcels.
Little half moons bulging with a delicious potato mixture ready to be boiled in lightly boiling water.
Gentle frying the parboiled crescents in butter and topping with fried and caramelised onions for serving.
I want to thank Ren for a lovely morning spent cooking, eating and catching up.  Hope we do it again soon.

If you want to try these and all the other traditional and modern Polish recipes you will find it available online.
I was not required to write this post.  As usual all opinions and photographs are my own.  No photographs may be reproduced in any form without my written consent.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a fabulous morning Heidi. I've not seen you or Ren for ages. I did enjoy your post though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post. The food was amazing as always!

      Delete
  2. Oh what fun! Wish I could have joined you ladies! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so delicious with the golden onions on the top. Yum! Will have to check this recipe out in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book has so many great recipes in it - you are sure to enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. These sound utterly scrumptious - and perfect as winter warmers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are perfect any time of the year - for a quick snack or part of a meal.

      Delete