Saturday 18 November 2017

Happy Biome - Power Smoothie

I have written about feeding your biome and keeping it happy before and how important this is for good gut health.

With this in mind I often make a smoothie to start the day.

I was given some persimmons to try and as I was full of head cold at the time I wanted to make this a super smoothie to help my immune system.  I bought some of my favourite fruits to go with it like blueberries, papaya (aka paw paw) and fresh mango.  The perfume from this mixture was making me feel better already!
I chopped up one of my persimmons and added to the bowl of fruit.  I put about half of the fruit mixture into the smoothie blender.  The rest of the fruit I split into two freezer bags and put into the freezer for a speedy power smoothie another time.
Next I added chia seeds, local honey, Grenada cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg, apple cider vinegar, turmeric and finally live yoghurt and live kefir.  Now that is a mixture!!
Whiz up in the smoothie blender until smooth and enjoy!  I love it when something tastes so good and you know it is good for you as well.  Mr R said this was perhaps the best smoothie I have made to date!

As usual all opinions, recipe and photographs are my own. Nothing from this post can be reproduced in any form without my written permission.



print recipe

Power Smoothie
A simple smoothie recipe to help keep your biome happy and your immune system healthy.
Ingredients
  • 1 Persimmon
  • 1/2 cup Blueberries
  • 1 Banana
  • 1 small Papaya
  • 1 ripe Mango
  • 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons Chia seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ground turmeric
  • 3-4 Tablespoons Live yoghurt
  • Fill to line of blender jug Kefir or milk of your choice
Instructions
1. Peel banana, mango and papaya.2. Chop all fruit into chunks.3. Fill blender jug with the fruit, yoghurt, spices and honey.4. Add kefir or milk to the fill line of the blender jug.5. Blitz for about two minutes until perfectly smooth.6. Pour into two glasses and enjoy!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 2

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds like a perfect medicinal tonic Heidi! Hope it worked its magic & you're feeling better now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane - I always feel better with a healthy morning smoothie!

      Delete
  2. I actually have two ripe persimmons that I had no idea what to do with so thank you! Hope you are feeling better it's awful having a cold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had persimmons before either but when they are a bit hard they are great treated like an apple or pear and when soft they make great jam.

      Delete
  3. Now that certainly sounds like it would make you feel better, what a lovely flavour combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband said it was the best smoothie I had ever made!!

      Delete
  4. What a delicious combination of ingredients. I love the persimmons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made so much chopped up fruit I have some in the freezer for another smoothie !

      Delete