Sunday 16 February 2014

How to make American Inspired Rice Pudding

There are two things I have been meaning to do lately. 1) Make my American inspired rice pudding and 2) use up a container of Almond Milk I had in the cupboard.

Lightbulb moment *Make rice pudding with the Amond Milk!*


I remember the rice pudding my grandma used to make, creamy with lovely plump raisins but I never really got the recipe from her.  My early married days in the 70s rice pudding was cooked in the oven and although I liked it and there was nothing wrong with it, it wasn't the rice pudding of my childhood (cooked on the hob).

When I was working at Middlesex University many years ago I worked with a Greek girl who used to bring us in the most delicious rice pudding, just like I remembered from my childhood.  She taught me how to make it and it soon became a family favourite.

Anyway back to today's pudding.  I followed the recipe just as I would have if I had used normal cow's milk.
  • Cover about 200gm of pudding rice with cold water.
  • Bring to the boil and simmer until the rice softens.
  • Drain the rice keeping some of the starchy rice water in the pan.
  • Return the rice to the pan.
  • Add 1lt of milk (cows or almond milk)
  • Add two good handfuls of raisins, 1tsp vanilla bean paste
  • Simmer for about 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile take about 4oz of cold milk, mix with 2-3 Tbsp sugar and 2-3 Tbsp  custard powder and gradually add to the rice mixture.
  • Bring to the boil and turn off the heat.
  • The rice pudding will thicken as it cools.
  • Serve on its own or with cream or ice cream.
ENJOY!
It was exactly the same as the original way I would have made it with milk but slightly needing more sugar.  A tablespoon of honey or maple syrup would combat the lack of sweetness perfectly.






22 comments:

  1. Rice pudding with ice cream? That's a new one on me :) I love the skin on rice pudding, scrummy.
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. With ice cream it looks like a great combo! Lovely comforting dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brings me back to being a young girl and my mum made rice pudding!

      Delete
  3. gosh, I find alpro original almond milk quite sweet! You must have a sweet tooth Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I do eat something sweet I do like it sweet!

      Delete
  4. Rice puddings are a regular feature in an Indian household , we call it KHEER, never tried almond milk though!- Manjiri http://sliceoffme.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rice pudding but never used almond milk before. It was interesting but slightly affected the creamyness.

      Delete
  5. OMG! I imagine that this would be too sweet for me but I must admit it looks so creamy and delicious Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an experiment - probably go back to milk next time!

      Delete
  6. Ooh rice pudding custard, now I've never come across that before. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding that smallamount of custard powder just makes it set a bit creamier.

      Delete
  7. I do like rice pudding. Adding raisins is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have always added raisins, gives a bit more to the texture.

      Delete
  8. I love rice pudding and this sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rice pudding, especially in the winter for some reason. Real comfort food!

      Delete
  9. I'm for the oven variety of rice pudding, I just love the caramelised skin. Almond milk sounds like a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the oven variety but it is very English and stove top is how I always knew it. The almond milk was a good alternative to the dairy.

      Delete
  10. I love rice pudding but never tried it with almond milk. I can imagine it will taste delicious. I would like to try almond milk just to see what it will taste like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's why I tried it for an experiment! Might try to use it again in something else!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love almond milk. What a good idea Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought I might try it with the hazlenut almond milk next time.

    ReplyDelete