Sunday 8 December 2013

Sunday Soup - Veggietastic!


We often have a big meal Sunday lunchtime and don't really want much for tea time.  A sandwich maybe with a bowl of soup followed by a piece of cake and tea or coffee.

I usually make a fresh soup on a Sunday afternoon often based on the meat we had for lunch.  Today however we had beef so I decided to make a very vegetable soup.

The list of veggies in today's soup is onion, celery, carrot, mushroom, 2 garlic cloves, chopped fresh tomatoes, broccoli, potato, butternut squash and rainbow chard from our allotment.


Usual recipe, heat a tablespoon sunflower oil and a tablespoon olive oil in my large stock pot. Gently fry all of the veggies (cut into small pieces) for about 5 minutes to make sure they are all coated with oil.

Add 4 pints of homemade chicken stock that I made from the two chickens I roasted earlier in the week.  Stir and simmer until the carrots are tender.

Season to taste with salt&pepper and this time I added 1/2 tsp of GranLuchito mexican chilli paste, 2 teaspoons green pesto and 2 tablespoons tomato puree.

When all the vegetables were tender I blitzed it till smooth with my hand stick blender.  I tasted and because it was a tiny bit too spicy for my father-in-law I added some single cream and a knob of butter to tone down the chilli.

 

Sunday tea time was a lovely bowl of fresh vegetable soup and slices of bread and butter.  Very filling and tasty and loads left over for workday lunches.




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment