Tuesday 10 September 2013

Rose Veal Schnitzel and Spatzle - A Blast from My Past

Brookfield Farm, veal producers of sustainably farmed veal sent me a package of their products to try at home. For the first meal I decided to make using the veal I was sent from them I wanted to cook something I had not had for years but often thought of.

Veal was a meat that I had stayed away from for years due to the bad reputation that had grown around the conditions the calves were kept in to keep the meat white.

Those days are over now and there is a movement to bring veal back to the consumer.  This time however it is known as Rose Veal.  The meat is light pink where the calves have been allowed to move around instead of being shut in small pens.

Brookfield Farm veal provides a sustainable way to combat the problem of what to do with the large numbers of black and white calves that were being disposed of or exported.  They have won awards and commendations for their animal husbandry and are committed to re-developing the almost extinct UK veal market  All their meat is bred and grown on their farms in the West Country and of the highest quality

Brookfield Farm sent me a selection of veal cuts and the first I wanted to try was the escalopes.

 
I made veal schnitzel with spatzle for dinner.  For the schnitzel I placed each piece in the flour then the beaten egg and


then cover in the Panko crumbs.


Shallow fry in sunflower or groundnut oil until browned on each side.  Drain and serve.



Spatzle is something I used to get in Austria. Basically you make a batter with egg, flour and milk.  You put the batter in the fridge for about half an hour. Then you press the batter through a sieve into a pot of boiling water. When the little spatzle bob to the surface they are done. Drain and fry in a little butter before seasoning and serving.


I also have veal roast, stir fry and cheeks to look forward to cooking. Watch this space! 





Do you cook veal? What is your favourite recipe?

Thanks to Brookfield Farm for the veal package. All opinions and recipes are my own.






No comments:

Post a Comment