Sunday 30 June 2013

Breakfast at Kippings

Breakfast at Kippings, maybe a nice film title? Or a great restaurant?

I was invited to Kippings Bistro & Wine bar in Wheathampstead a couple of miles from where I live in St Albans.  They have been open about 6 months now and even though I have driven past loads of times it never occurred to me to stop by.
 
 
I am however, very glad I did today. Mr R and I were up early and weeding on the allotment and brunch was our reward .
 

We were greeted by Patricia and introduced to her husband Barry and head chef Jack. They were all welcoming and very hospitable.

The decor is modern and uncluttered and the inside is small enough to be intimate but large enough not to feel claustrophobic.

 
 
 
There is a well stocked bar and a 'library' area which makes a lovely meeting place for coffee with friends, a quiet coffee and newspaper or magazine or just to catch up on tweets!

 
 
The library is a great place to relax with a friend over a coffee
 
 
or sit outside in the little sun garden with a cool drink.
 
 

Mr R and I both had the full English breakfast, I had my eggs scrambled and he had sunny side up. We both remarked that our eggs were perfectly cooked, the bacon thick and tender (not dry or overcooked) and the sausage and black pudding tasty.


 
 

Mr R is the king of brunch mushrooms but he certainly has a rival and chef Jack may steal the title!!
 
 
The toast was served on a piece of wood with more than enough butter (often you have to try to make a small amount reach both pieces of toast) and was unsalted with a few flakes of crunch sea salt sprinkled on top.
 

The coffee was lovely and smooth without any bitter taste which always pleases me.

We weren't rushed and were made to feel very welcome. Looking at the Menu board I think I will be back for dinner very soon!
 

Many thanks to Patricia and Barry at Kippings for a relaxed brunch. You can check out their website here, follow them on Twitter or phone (01582 833122) to make a reservation.

 
If you are in Hertfordshire or lower Bedfordshire take a trip to Kippings! 










No comments:

Post a Comment