Saturday 25 May 2013

Meals in Minutes - Friday Night Special

Friday afternoon, the weekend is approaching fast and you want a quick supper before popping out.

Tonight I put into my roasting pan one large potato in chunks, half an onion cut into chunks, half a sweet potato in chunks, a courgette cut in half and large slices and four whole garlic cloves (I peel mine - I don't like cooking them in their skins even though it is the popular way these days).

 
A drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper and a mixed herb sprinkled on top. Place sausages on top and into a moderate oven for about 45-50 minutes until the veggies are soft and the sausages cooked.


A splash of Lea&Perrins Worcestershire sauce and serve.

 
For pudding tonight I wanted to finish up the nectarines that I bought at my local store the other day for 20p instead of £2.00. There was nothing wrong with any of them and you can see they lasted quite a long time without starting to spoil.
 
I cut the fruit in half, removed the stones and sprinkled them with some brown sugar we bought on holiday in Barbados (real sugar cane sugar from the rum distillery).
 
 
I put a knob of butter in the dish with the fruit and sugar and popped them into the oven for about 45 minutes, until they were soft but not mushy.
 
 
Served warm with some Ambrosia Devon Dream, a nice balance between their custard and double cream.


A great evening meal, didn't cost much, most of the veggies were left over from last week's bargain shop and it was delicious and filling.


No comments:

Post a Comment